First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
How is Xen different?
Traditional Virtualization solutions (VMware, Virtual PC) fully virtualize the x86 architecture
The x86 architecture is hard to virtualize.
- Fully virtualization comes at a high price
Xen uses para-virtualization
- Guest OS must avoid hard-to-virtualize features of the x86
- Requires modification of Guest OS
- Results in significant reduction in virtualization overhead
- Linux involved about 3000 lines of code modifications