Is Cygwin easy to install and configure?
YES! Cygwin and Cygwin/X can be installed via a windows installer program.
Brief instructions on how to ensure you get what you need for Cygwin/X:
- You can download the packages to a local directory for install later or install directly over the Internet.
- You can select via the installer to "install for all users" and the default directory is C:\cygwin
- You can "install the default" packages, pick and choose which packages to install, or "install all." (Currently a complete install takes up approximately 800M)
Demo: Installing Cygwin and Cygwin/X
- Go to www.cygwin.com and click on "install or update now" or download and run setup.exe.
- Choose "Install from Internet" as your download source. Download/Intall from Net, Download, or Install Local.
- Choose your Root Install Directory. The scripts I wrote will need to changed if you change this from C:
- Select the same directory you chose in 3, as your "Local package directory."
- Select "Use IE5 Settings" if behind a firewall and you will be prompted for your firewall password. Or choose "Direct Connection" if you are on the public Internet.
- Once the "list of mirrors" is downloaded, you will need to select one or more places from which to download the cygwin packages. Good choices in this box for this area are: http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov OR http://mirrors.kernel.org OR http://mirrors.xmission.com
- Clicking next will pull up a list of packages to install. If you want to install "everything" rather than selecting individual packages that you’ll need, just click the word "Default" next to "All". This will change to "Install" for all packages. If you want to select individual packages, leave "Default" on "All" and make sure to add the following packages, by clicking the plus (+) sign next to a package group and then clicking the word "Skip" next to the package name. This will change the word to a version number of the package to be installed and change the n/a under the binary column to be a box with a checkmark.
- Admin: Skip this.
- Archive: Install everything under here, it is nice to have these utilities.
- Base: By default everything here is already selected, skip this.
- Database: Skip this.
- Devel: Skip this...unless you want tools like gcc, gdb, cvs.
- Doc: man (the command line help pages)
- Editors: vim (the improved vi editor)
- Games: Skip this.
- Gnome: Skip this.
- Graphics: jpeg, openGL
- Interpreters: Skip this.
- Libs: libjpeg62, libjpge6b
- Mail: Skip this.
- Math: Skip this.
- Mingw: Skip this.
- Net: inetutils, openssh, openssl, rsync
- Publishing: Skip this.
- Shells: Skip this.
- Text: Skip this.
- Utils: Skip this.
Links: Cygwin Home |
Cygwin FAQ |
Cygwin/X Home |
Cygwin/X FAQ |
Slide 2 of 4